Friday, February 25, 2011

All About Atmosphere


This past weekend I took a train from Florence to Milan to stay with a friend from Boston College who is studying there for the semester.  There were three of us visiting him, all BC students studying abroad in various parts of Europe.  Needless to say, the four of us had an incredibly fun weekend together.  We saw all the major sights in Milan, including the famous La Scala Opera House, the world’s oldest shopping mall, the Sforza castle, and Milan’s own elaborate duomo cathedral (below I am pictured in front of it with my nutella waffle).  



In Milan, I had my very first aperitivo experience.  Aperitivo is a study abroad student’s dining fantasy: 8 euro gets you one drink of your choice along with unlimited access to sizable buffet featuring several varieties of pasta and pizza, cold cuts with bread and cheeses, numerous delectable side dishes, and so on.  It is very common for Italian restaurants to offer aperitivo specials a few nights a week, and on such evenings, American students notoriously take over the restaurant, managing to fill their plates four or five times.  We were no exception. 

And while aperitivo was certainly satisfying, I think I can safely say that the highlight of the weekend was our day trip to Lake Como on Saturday.  No I didn’t see George Clooney…sigh.  Regardless, Lake Como might be the most beautiful place I’ve ever been.  And I think I’ve figured out why I adore it so much.  Lake Como is like Lake Geneva, Wisconsin meets Telluride, Colorado; thus it combines my two favorite places in the world.  Then add in the Italy factor, and it doesn't get much better!  Sprinkled randomly around the lake are quaint little towns like Varenna and Bellagio, the two we visited.  There is wonderfully little to do in these towns other than relax and enjoy the views.  It is impossible to be there and not feel amazed at the beauty of creation. 




After taking a ferry from Varenna to Bellagio, my friends and I had a leisurely meal at this restaurant right on the water (pictured below).  We enjoyed dessert and cappuccino while we watched the sun set over the breathtaking blue lake and snow-capped mountains.  I have come to find that sometimes what you are eating is not nearly as significant as where you are eating and with whom.  And while our food was delicious, this was one of those times.  My friends and I were speechless, exchanging looks that conveyed our mutual feelings about this experience: pretty darn awesome.   





No comments:

Post a Comment